Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Dormitory

It was the 1950s and I was living on the top floor of a house with some girls. It was one big room with a few single beds, like a dormitory, and the ceiling was wooden and slanted with the shape of the roof. The house was somewhere in the country and there was a man (who I didn't see) in charge of us who we were worried would come in and tell us off if we made too much noise. There were 4 boys living elsewhere in the house who looked about 14 years old. I think they were betrothed (haha) to some of the girls.
We were bored and got out a record player. Someone found some red, blue and yellow plastic strips that were about the size of a 30cm ruler. We had a little sewing kit so we sewed the strips together into panels and put them on as corsets. We were getting into a line to dance to the music and when I looked at the girls I could see them really clearly so I tried to memorize what they were wearing. I quickly went over to a table and started writing it down but they were all telling me to hurry up because the music was starting.
The boys came in and said they were going somewhere but they didn't look old enough. Some of the girls were saying "just tell them you're engaged, they'll think you're older".
When the boys left the girls got into bed and went to sleep. I looked out of a window and saw a massive tree and what looked like somebody's foot, so I climbed out and onto the tree. Between some branches near the top was a platform and someone was sitting on it, I can't remember who. I could hear the mysterious man in charge and I knew I'd get bollocked if he saw me in the tree. He came out of the door and he was looking all around for me and I was wishing he wouldn't look up. Then I was really high up floating in the air and laughing because he couldn't see me...

No comments: